Health Observances and Holidays
NovemberAmerican Diabetes Month
American Diabetes Association.
Every November, the American Diabetes Association encourages the public to learn more about diabetes and the risks associated with the disease. This page offers some ways you can become involved in this year's American Diabetes Month.
American Education Week
National Education Association.
Learning cannot take place without good nutrition! American Education Week, November 11-17, spotlights the importance of providing every child in America with a quality public education from kindergarten through college.
Countdown to Thanksgiving
USDA. Food Safety and Inspection Service.
Experienced and first-time Thanksgiving cooks will benefit from a review and reminder of important do-ahead steps toward a healthy and safe Thanksgiving meal.
Native American Heritage Month
- Native American Nutrition Education Resource List for Educators
from Food and Nutrition Information Center
- Community Development Resources
for Native Americans
from Rural Information Center
Thanksgiving Food Preparation Tips
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension.
Answers to frequently-asked questions at Thanksgiving including how to brine a turkey, use an oven bag, cook in a roaster oven, how long to thaw or roast a turkey or how to prepare something other than turkey.
Did you know? November also includes...
- Family Week (Week of Thanksgiving)
- Men Make Dinner Day (first Thursday in November)
- National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day (November 15th)
- National Fig Week (1st week in November)
- National Peanut Butter Lovers Month
- National Pomegranate Month
- National Sandwich Day (November 3rd)
- National Split Pea Soup Week (2nd week in November)